About Me

My photo
Dawn is a watercolor and collage artist, writer, Host of #JournalChat Live and Creative and Social Media Consultant. She enjoys sharing insights, humor, and encouragement as she shares from her life experiences. She enjoys keeping a journal and reading spiritual texts to help keep the light on. Hope you enjoy perusing the blog posts and in the process, get to know her a bit better. Enjoy your stay!

Sunday, September 21, 2014

My Daughter's Notebook: A Different Approach

For my youngest daughter's Birthday, we decided the best way to create a Birthday Wall for her this year would be to put it in a book--a binder notebook to be exact. This would be a wholly different approach to a wall spread, but it worked out very well.

I used colored construction paper to fit in the binder, punched holes in the pages and prepared layouts based on different preferences in various categories, from music to books to favorite foods.



She's a Spanish major in college, thus the Spanish language is prominent throughout the pages which she adores. 

She has a college-focused blog, By Hannah Joy, where she talks about her college experiences as well as beauty and fashion, which she has a lot of fun with. That inspired this page. 





It was fun compiling images suitable and then trimming them out and putting colored triangles on the corners for a scrap-booked look. I used two primary colors and used them to contrast each other which looked really cool.



I especially enjoyed creating a front page with birthday banner throwing some colored dots on for a confetti look.


I think what I loved most about this notebook approach is that I was able to use a similar approach that I use in my art journal, using matte medium for adhesive. The only disadvantage to this is once the items are glued down, you can't rearrange them!

But, interestingly enough, she prefers the notebook and wants me to continue that approach in the future.

I chose an image of keys to the car for an ending statement since she got her driver's license this summer!

So, there you have it! I hope these visuals have inspired you to work on one for your child's birthday.
You can also check out my e-book that gives you the full story and great ideas for wall or notebook collage.

Here are a few ideas you can use if you choose to present the Birthday Wall in notebook fashion:

Include at least 5 categories for different subject matter
Use at least two colors for contrast and visual effect
Use colored construction paper or card stock for the pages
Trim to size
You're better off preparing too many pages rather than too little (I had a few left over)
Matte medium makes a great adhesive, but you can use regular glue as well
Cut triangles for corners on your images which gives it a finished look
Don't be afraid to try your own ideas; your creativity is just waiting to be expressed!
HAVE FUN and your child will enjoy it.

Showing your child how much you love them by creating this collage style visual will be remembered and treasured for many years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment